A few months back, I found Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out With Me? at Target. In case you've been living under a rock, Mindy Kaling, who was an actress and writer on The Office, is now the star of her own comedy series on FOX called The Mindy Project.
At first, it was a rocky start. I bought IEHOWM (quite possibly the longest acronym ever) right before my wedding, while I had a thousand things on my mind and was still busy planning and paying for everything. I just didn't have the time or interest to get into it. Once Christmas was over, I got back into it. I am SO glad I picked it back up!
This read is so easy. It's even easier when you read in Mindy's voice. It's like reading a letter from your best friend, or a book after seeing the movie. You read it in character, and it flies by, and you wish it wouldn't end. That was exactly this book in a nutshell.
Rather than boring you with a "book review" raving about how amazing this little memoir is, I've decided a list would be not only better, but in character to the book. Read on.
7 Reasons Why Mindy Kaling Should Be Hanging Out With Me
7. I will totally watch every episode ever of SNL with you while we eat cupcakes that you are not asked to tweet about.
6. I love The Office, and you co-wrote The Office, so obviously that means I love you, too, and haven't even met you.
5. Irish exits are my thing, so I won't judge you if you leave my party unannounced. I'll probably leave my own party, too.
4. I'll let you borrow all of my clothes and I won't even make you replace it if you ruin it. Hell, you can keep it.
3. I totally agree that men put on their shoes too slowly. They put on their socks even slower.
2. I would love to co-write Apples to Apples 4D if you're going to write it. Throwing apples at strangers might be too much, but maybe we can pour apple juice instead.
1. Simply put, between your crazy ideas and hilarious observations, I'm pretty sure you are my long lost best friend.